The worst of the Covid crisis might be behind us, but there are still important things to remember if you have received government support since 2020.

Made an incorrect application?

If you received a Covid-19 support payment and weren’t eligible, you’ll need to let Inland Revenue (and us) know ASAP.

The quickest way to disclose an incorrect application is through Inland Revenue’s myIR online platform. There, you can send a message to Inland Revenue, which will investigate the eligibility of the payments and go through the next steps with you.

Disclaimer: This blog has been carefully prepared, but it has been written in general terms only. The blog should not be relied upon to provide specific information without also obtaining appropriate professional advice after detailed examination of your particular situation.