New Zealand took a battering from the weather in the summer, and unfortunately, severe weather events are expected to become more common. To protect your dairy farm from the worst, here are tips on how to manage your feed and finances.
Three-Step Feed Plan
- Make a feed budget to establish targets and avoid feed shortages.
- Include production targets, feeding levels, average pasture cover targets at different stages, and what’s happening with young stock and supplement strategies.
- Monitor the plan regularly to ensure the set targets are achieved.
Fix Your Finances
- Update your budget and reduce your expenditure accordingly.
- Make sure you confine the financial damage to one year only.
- Perform a cash flow check to find out how much money is available for purchasing inputs such as nitrogen and supplements.
- Keep your bank manager informed.
Disclaimer: This blog has been carefully prepared, but it has been written in general terms only. The blog should not be relied upon to provide specific information without also obtaining appropriate professional advice after detailed examination of your particular situation.